Conducting research on franchise opportunities is a very important part of the process for aspiring business owners. Equally as important is making sure that your franchise research goes beyond a quick scan of Google Search results and includes a deeper, more thoughtful approach. After all, you are looking to start your own business or buy an existing franchise for sale, and the decision you are about to make should not be taken lightly or be based solely on a few brief online franchise reviews. Your research, therefore, should also not be conducted lightly and you should strive to get a complete picture of the business as you do your franchise due diligence.
Here are 3 tips to make sure you conduct a thorough, proper investigation of franchise opportunities that will help you sort through complaints and success stories and enable you to make an informed, educated decision:
1. Go Beyond Google Search Results: The least you can do when conducting franchise research is to go beyond Google Search results. At the VERY least, you can look beyond page 1 of Google Search. Rather than rely on a handful of search results, it’s better to look deeper so that you can formulate a better overall picture of what a franchise is really about. Even better, you can – and should – visit the company website of the franchise you are researching.
For example, we’ve made it a point to make our website – www.minutemanpressfranchise.com – a valuable resource for anyone who is researching Minuteman Press franchise opportunities. We have a comprehensive frequently asked questions section, owner testimonials and videos, an investment page that details Minuteman Press franchise costs, pages highlighting our industries and revenue streams, infographics, and much more.
We also update our blog – The Minuteman Press Franchise Review – with helpful and informative blog posts like the one you are reading now. The blog also covers franchise news, career change advice, business tips, marketing advice, printing industry trends, and much more.
The bottom line is that any franchise that is worth researching will offer potential franchise owners a comprehensive website that will answer many (if not all) commonly asked questions. They should also provide you with a phone number and online contact form for you to fill out so that you can easily reach out to them. It is important to keep in mind that online research is only part of the overall franchise research equation.
2. REACH OUT and Speak with the Franchisor Directly: If you are interested in a franchise opportunity, you should definitely call the franchisor directly and speak with them. One common misconception is that a phone call to a franchisor means that you must commit to them right away, and that is not the case. A phone call at this stage is not a committal of any kind on your part; it is simply part of the research phase, and a very important one at that. You need to get to know your franchisor as they could wind up being your partner in business, and franchisors understand you are calling to gather more information.
By reaching out and taking to the franchisor, you will be able to ask initial questions, learn more about their business model and track record as well as how they treat their franchisees, and simply get a better feel for the franchise as a whole.
For instance, if you are interested in pursuing a Minuteman Press franchise opportunity, you can call 1-800-645-3006 and speak to us at no obligation. We understand you are weighing your options, and our goal is to simply review our franchise with you and then go from there.
Again, a phone call at this point can only help you make a more informed decision, and it certainly doesn’t hurt to get a better overall picture of the franchise you are researching.
3. See What Current Owners Have to Say … and Ask Them Yourself: What better way to further your franchise research than to actually meet with current franchise owners? This is the best way to get a feel for what a franchise is really like, and real-time meetings like these are certainly more reliable, in-depth, and up to date than Google Search results.
That is why we invite and encourage potential business owners to go on a local tour of Minuteman Press franchises. This kind of hands-on experience provides you with access to those people who were once in your shoes, and speaking with our owners allows you to ask questions and gain valuable insights as to what it is really like to own and operate a Minuteman Press franchise today.
A decision only you can make
At the end of the day, determining which franchise is right for you is a decision that only you can make; that is why it is so important to be so thorough during the franchise research phase. Rather than relying one source alone, the best thing to do is to investigate and explore the franchise across multiple sources:
- Take into consideration deeper Google Search results
- Visit the company’s website to take advantage of the online resources they provide
- Look for official press releases from the franchisor that highlight company news, owner achievements and milestones, important events, industry trends, and more
- Be proactive and call the franchisor directly to speak with them about their business
- Meet with actual franchise owners who are part of the franchise system right now to ask them questions and gain their insights
Following these steps to franchise research will give you a clear, complete picture of the system you are looking to join.
Now, it’s your turn! Are you researching Minuteman Press? Call us at 1-800-645-3006 or fill out the contact form on this page.
Minuteman Press International is a business service franchise that is rated #1 in category by Entrepreneur 24 times and 13 years in a row, including 2016. We are the modern version of the printing industry, providing high quality products and services for businesses that go way beyond just ink on paper. Today our stores produce promotional products, custom apparel, large format printing (banners and posters), signs, and much more.